DS Busuit - Premium Business Template for Joomla!

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cannot connect / HTTP proxy window problem
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cannot connect / HTTP proxy window problem

Cannot connect / HTTP proxy window problem 2 years, 5 months ago #764

• fonzo
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been running v2.6.0.3 on my wireless laptop running Windows XP for quite a while and it worked fine until about 3 days ago. It started giving me the HTTP proxy error window and would not connect to the internet. So, I backed it up and "reinstalled" v 2.6.0.3 and v 2.5. In both cases when I ran them the first time the wizards came up and I got to the HTTP proxy settings window. I don't use a proxy so I clicked "finish" and it gives me the error "cannot connect to the internet". So I click the "test" button multiple times to check it and sometimes it tells me it "successfully connected to the internet" and others "could not connect to the internet, try again". If I get by that window by clicking "finish", it tries to start up like normal, but then the "HTTP Proxy" window pops up saying error connecting to internet, check proxy settings and try again. So in that window if I hit the "test" button multiple times I get the same as before, sometimes connects, other times fails.
PLEASE tell me what it causing this problem. I'm about ready to beat my head against the wall!!!
I use catcher a lot and love it and need to get it back up and working.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

BTW, I haven't changed anything I can think of between when it was working and now when it isn't.

I'm using a cable modem and wireless router. Gateway is 192.168.0.1.

==========
UPDATE

I just tried running catcher on a pc directly connected to the network running Windows 7. It runs fine on there.
All internet apps, including mirc run fine on the laptop.
Does anyone have any idea why catcher doesn't work on the laptop and how to fix it?

============
UPDATE #2 - PROBLEM FIXED

Even though all other internet accessing programs on my laptop worked, I decided to run Winsockxpfix.exe on it as a last resort. This fixed the problem. Although, I still have no idea why it actually fixed the problem or what the actual problem was.
================
UPDATE #3 - CAUSED A DIFFERENT PROBLEM

Now I can only get 1/2 the bandwidth throughput 15mbps as I used to 30mbps. I tested this with speedtest.net. My pc still gets the 30+.
Has anyone ever experienced this problem? This is on XP. A friend of mine seems to have the same issue and he's running 7. I'm figuring that it has something to do with the network settings, but have no idea what needs to be done to get it back to full speed.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
=================
After searcihing the net I found AVG Tune-Up. It changed the needed network settings and my speeds are top notch.
=================
UPDATE #4 - CATCHER DOWNLOADS STILL SLOWER THAN "NORMAL"

Even though my tested throughput of my Internet connection is now fast, catcher can't seem to download anything over around 600-700 KB. I used to easily get 1000-2000 KB on almost every download. I've tested multipile downloads at multiple times on multiple days and it never reaches the speeds I used to get before the "connection error" problems started happening.
Has anyone ever seen this problem?
Can anyone offer any solutions to get my download speeds back to "normal"?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE #5 - XDCC TRANX SEEM FIXED
======================
I used a program called TCPOptimizer.exe to optimize all my tcp/ip settings. This seems to have fixed the slow xdcc tranx problems.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by fonzo. Reason: Update #5
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds